Grunwald Farms Forest Preserve
The Grunwald Farm Forest Preserve will become a new recreational area transforming raw pieces of land into small boating, fishing and hiking areas. The existing adjacent land already includes oak hickory woodlands. This acquisitions represents one of the fastest turnarounds in terms of negotiation, purchase and opening to the public - all within one year.
Fishing Harvest Limits at the large pond within Grunwald Farms Forest Preserve:
- Bluegill:10 fish daily harvest limit
- Channel Catfish: 3 fish daily harvest limit
- Common Carp: No harvest limit
- Crappie (white or black):10 fish daily harvest limit
- Largemouth Bass: Protected slot limit between 14-18 inches. Harvest limit of one fish greater or equal to 18 inches and three fish less than 14 inches
- Northern Pike: One fish daily harvest limit, 24-inch minimum length
- Smallmouth Bass: Catch and release, only
- Winter Activities
The Forest Preserve District of Kane County added two adjacent properties in the summer of 2006 located in Blackberry Township totaling 224 acres. One formerly known as the Kaneland Sand & Gravel property abuts the other property featuring high quality kame and fen and will together be known as the Grunwald Farm Forest Preserve.